Topaz L. M. Johnson
Topaz Johnson’s practice covers corporate and commercial law which includes a specialist practice in financial law. In the area of financial law, she has been a legal adviser to banks and other lenders in a wide range of transactional matters and given extensive advice in work-out solutions for special loans. Topaz has also provided transactional advice to large borrowers and representation in the issuance of debt instruments.
Prior to her legal practice, Topaz gained seven years of experience in Corporate Banking, Development Finance and Investment Management.
Jamaican Bar, 2008
B.Sc., University of the West Indies, 1998
M.Sc., University of the West Indies, 2001
LL.B., University of London, 2006
Legal Education Certificate, Norman Manley Law School, 2008
- 2017: Represented overseas company and affiliates in issuance of secured bonds.
- 2016-2017: Represented international investment banks in ISDA transactions with Jamaican counterparties.
- 2015-2016: Member of team representing resort facility as borrower in syndicated loan of over US$100 Million.
- 2015: Attorney that represented borrower in loan transaction to finance the construction of a large commercial facility that is being leased to several companies.
- 2015: Member of team representing multilateral lending agency in providing financing for renewable energy projects (solar).
- 2014-2015: Member of team representing syndicate of multilateral lending agencies in providing financing for renewable energy projects (wind).
- 2013-14: Represented international commercial bank in purchase of portion of loan portfolio from Jamaican commercial bank.
- 2012: One of the attorneys representing purchaser of shares in large petroleum marketing and retail distribution company.
- 2011: Member of team representing multilateral lending institution in providing financing for independent energy producing company that supplies energy to the national grid.
- 2011: One of the attorneys that represented syndicate of lenders in three security enforcement matters involving appointment of receivers in large secured loan transactions.
- 2010: Member of team which acted along with NY counsel for company in issuance of bonds and party to Total Return Swap transaction referencing the bonds.
- 2009: Member of team that represented commercial bank in large loan facility to complete construction of resort facility.
- Recognizing the Value of Innovation in Jamaican Laws, published in the Financial Gleaner, January 13, 2017
- Modernizing Insolvency Law – Paper presented at Seminar “The IMF Agreement – Practical Legal Consequences for the Financial Sector” – Held November 13, 2013, Knutsford Court Hotel, Kingston Jamaica
- Retail Repos in Jamaica – A Legal Perspective – Paper presented at Seminar “The IMF Agreement – Practical Legal Consequences for the Financial Sector” – Held November 13, 2013, Knutsford Court Hotel, Kingston, Jamaica
- Laws being changed to support Jamaica’s IMF economic programme, published in Lexology by Globe Business Publishing Ltd., August 21, 2013
- Derivatives 101, published in the Financial Gleaner, December 7, 2012
- A Decade of Business Development Facilitation – Co-Author of DunnCox’s submission to Chambers Global – The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business – 2010
- The Road To 2030 Pivots on Ease of Doing Business, published in the Financial Gleaner, April 17, 2009