Emile G. R. Leiba
Emile Leiba is co-head of the firm’s Litigation Department.
Emile Leiba practices in Employment Law and Civil Litigation specializing primarily in Commercial Litigation.
Emile has acted for international and local clients in providing general labour law advice, drafting and reviewing policy manuals and contracts of employment, advising on claims for bargaining rights by unions and acted in contested dismissal claims in the Industrial Disputes Tribunal, Supreme Court and Court of Appeal. He has also acted for maritime clients and litigated contested ship arrest applications at the Supreme Court and Appellate levels in addition to other substantive maritime claims. Emile has presented at seminars and published articles on labour and maritime law.
Emile practiced in Property and Commercial law prior to specializing in Litigation and Employment law.
A Partner of the firm and a member of the Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Department, Emile is an Executive member of the Bar Council, member of the Social Affairs Committee and Chairperson of the Employment and Labour Law Sub-Committee of the Jamaican Bar Association. He has also served as Honorary Counsel to the Little Theatre Movement of Jamaica and is an Associate Tutor in Civil Procedure and Practice ll at the Norman Manley Law School.
Emile is a former Commissioner of the Fair Trading Commission, a member and former President of the Jamdammers Running Club, a primary organizer of the internationally known Reggae Marathon and an avid marathon runner and triathlete who has participated in several international events.
Jamaican Bar 2002
Legal Education Certificate, Norman Manley Law School 2002
LL.B., University of the West Indies 2000
- Lead Counsel in Jamaica’s first case on the applicability of the principles of Diplomatic Immunity.
- Lead Counsel in numerous precedent setting procedural decisions of the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal.
- Conducted and lead due diligence on restructuring of companies being acquired by international corporations.
- Lead Counsel in decisions on mortgage documents, instruments of guarantee, debentures and other securities in Supreme Court and Court of Appeal.
- Lead Counsel in the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal on Occupiers Liability.