Jerome I. Lee
Jerome Lee’s practice focuses on the structuring of bank financing and credit transactions; loan and security documentation; company restructuring and reorganization; the purchase and disposal of company shareholding and corporate assets; joint ventures and shareholders’ agreements; cross border acquisitions; and project financing.
Jerome has a track record for being a ‘solid, thorough and detailed’ lawyer and has repeatedly been recognized in independent international publications, Chambers Global and International Financial Law Review (IFLR1000) as a leading lawyer in Jamaica. He has advised on the law governing real estate dealers and developers and liaised with the Real Estate Board. Jerome has acted for clients involved in negotiating and purchasing real estate for residential development and commercial use, the construction and sale of lots, houses, townhouses and apartments in development schemes and the lease and sale of hotels and other commercial buildings.
Jerome is a member of the firm’s Corporate and Commercial Department and has been a partner since 1985. He is a member of the Jamaican Bar Association and was appointed a member of the Disciplinary Committee of the General Legal Council in 1993.
Jerome also serves as a Director on the Boards of Guardian Life Limited and Guardian General Insurance Jamaica Limited. He is a past Chairman of the Commercial Law Sub-Committee of the Jamaican Bar Association and a senator of Junior Chamber International (JCI).
“Peers regard Jerome Lee as “one of the top commercial practitioners” currently operating in Jamaica. He is especially noted for his expertise in real estate and banking matters, with his broad experience covering the financing, construction and purchase of numerous large-scale commercial and residential developments.” (Chambers Global 2016)
13Jamaican Bar, 1978
Legal Education Certificate, Norman Manley Law School (1978)
B.Sc. (Gov’t), LL.B., University of the West Indies (1973 and 1976)
- 2016 – Acted in the negotiation and execution by client of a sale agreement for acquisition of 50 hectares of land for development to involve the building of some 1,000 houses, incorporation of the development company, negotiating and settling shareholders’ agreement among investors, and drafting and finalizing sale agreement for the individual units.
- 2016 – Acted in a large J$ note issue (unsecured) involving a financial institution as Arranger and Paying Agent , Registrar and Administrative Agent on behalf of investors and the client (as issuer).
- 2016 – Acted as team leader in the acquisition and financing by clients of a local dairy manufacturing business (including intellectual property and real estate) of an international firm.
- 2015 – Lead member of the legal team acting as local and Caribbean coordinating counsel to a client in issuing by client of bonds in a multi-million US$ amount pursuant to a trust deed and additional borrowing by way of a syndicated loan agreement secured by charges over the assets of the borrower/issuer and guarantees from its subsidiaries in 14 jurisdictions in the Caribbean and Central America.
- 2015 – Acted in the negotiation and execution by client of a sale and purchase of land agreement for 351 acres (142 hectares) of land for development; to involve the building of some 1,750 houses.
- 2014 – Represented a client’s commercial project for real estate development of over 330 acres involving various stages including (i) drafting and finalizing a series of agreements with a development consultant, (ii) drafting and finalizing memoranda of understanding with two proposed investors/developers of real estate with the intention of having a holistic development project consisting of an ICT tech park, a university campus and a residential housing development, (iii) drafting and finalizing binding agreements with the two investors/developers, and (iv) effecting transfers of land.
- 2013 – Acted in a sale and lease back arrangement of a substantial real estate holding involving a large financial institution as Arranger and Trustee on behalf of investors and the client (as vendor and tenant).